Thursday, March 22, 2007

PRESS FREEDOM KOH


During the first colloquium held on March 6 at the PS 307 Building, the statement of Editor in Chief Sarah Marie Kotowich, Allimed (College of Allied Medical Professions’ Official Student Publication) that the “campus journalism in AUF is dead” created a hot discussion.

Personally, the statement does not create any after shock in me. For this is really what’s prevailing in this university, when campus journalism touches the line. Being the Editor in chief of the CAS Ideas for the Academic Year 2005-2006, I would leave a testimony that the state of journalism in this Catholic University is near death.

During my term, the adviser screened the articles. The basic reason? This university is protecting and maintaining its claim as the First catholic University in Central Luzon, therefore no paper releases must be issued that will create a nastier picture of the scene.

But, this is issue is not limited to the portals of this university; other school organs are also experiencing this worst scenario.

Now, being student writers, you and I play a very vital role in redeeming the true spirit and essence of campus journalism. The power of the pen is in our hands. Let these prolific hands mark something on the lines. At any rate, we are still all honored for this privilege- the right and freedom to speak our minds.

And so, make your move. Take pride your minds, get back your rights.

4 comments:

almex said...

Yes, hearing the spicy words of the EIC of different college publication that Campus Journalism is dead is not a shocking statement. Some of the students in our University are aware, others are still pretending and others ignore the issue. To be a writer in this University is like we’re working as a robot in our respective college publication. Our articles are screened and then we just found out the Adviser did not allow to publish your article. There are articles which are not published thou it need to be publish, its time for the students to react and make an action. It’s time for the student-writers to break their silence and let the power of their pen express their sentiments. Speak for what they think is right.

lawdenmarc said...

"The Rites of Inks"


My pen gently weeps.
My freedom of surrealistic grime speaks.
My paper writes the blood of passion.
My robbed poetic license is a phantom of quantum fluctuation.
My jagged lines spill on the floor.
My wings broken to soar.


And there the disarmed robots are hiding at the
back of a powerful, heartless, autocratic mountain with butterfly wings.

The 'Rites of Inks' I beseech from the amber circle of breathing digits are these:

Let there be wrestling of tongues.
Let there be breath of art.
Let there be dance of bullets in the ADMIN's dreams.
Let there be defecation of the pen.
Let there be groove of choices.
Let there be REM in the eyes of a Filipino to Filipino.
Let there be a concierto for reawakening of the minds.
Let the wind blow.
Let RA articles leave me alone.
Let there be freedom.
Let there be Rites of Inks.
And let me write to make them think.

fridiane anne said...

Hello, I know what you mean melford. We’re masscom students but we can't write about the real deal in our campus. I always wondered why? Until I realized that there is no sense of having the freedom to write what we want because it's never going to happen. I know that we must be responsible for our actions and be reasonable enough when we write about something. Though. When I say freedom it’s not about hurting someone in my choice of words or degrading the school itself. What I’m trying to stress is that we should not be silent about our concerns regarding the school. If we feel that we are not convenient or not happy and they are just benefiting from us because we have no say, we should say something or stress our point of views. Although, One thing's for sure even if we write about it nothing's going to change anyway .

Cris Mendoza said...

OO nga!hindi na nkakagulat na gnon ang cnabi ng mga iba't ibang editor in chief sa skul nten..nakakainis naman talaga na hindi ntin maexercise ng maayos ang freedom of speech nten lalu na kasi alam nten na may maraming mata ng administrasyon ang titingin sa atin kung hindi natin sila matatamaan sa anu mang ating ipapahayag. Patas ba sa atin un?sa tingin nyo?kelan kaya tyo kikilos para mabago at maituwid ang mali?

PIG LOVERS

PIG LOVERS
I wonder what drives them to get aroused, eeew... how rude they are to do the thing inthe farm...I mean, mahiya naman sila

NEVER STEAL A DIARY

NEVER STEAL A DIARY
A special friend got mad at me when -- learned that I was the one who stole his diary, I hope we will get ok soon, sigh!

FRIENDSTERZ

FRIENDSTERZ
Never let a special someone be taken for granted, I tell you, it is really hard to experience losing a very special friend

HATE IT'S HOT

HATE IT'S HOT
Shame...like the sun wants to burn us...huh...hate this summer

OMG...MANILA LIFE

OMG...MANILA LIFE
Life in Makati, while comlying with my summer internship requirements

THIS IS THE REAL LOVE

THIS IS THE REAL LOVE
Oh..how I wish people will all be happy while they are loving and being loved,...no matter what

MY LIFE..UPSIDE..DOWN..BACK

MY LIFE..UPSIDE..DOWN..BACK
Twist and turns...aurls and ups...my life

ARMAGEDDON

ARMAGEDDON
The end of the world is near.
Powered By Blogger

About Me

Angeles City, Region III, Philippines
Hi guys. I am the person who would always love to care and be pampered, the person who would always love and be loved. Now, you tell me, am I asking too much? I love you...I care for you...Kaluguran daka...